FAQs - short-term posting of workers (max 2 years)

  • In the country where I've been sent to work by my employer, all my colleagues earn the minimum wage. Am I also entitled to it?

    YES — for the whole time you're working there, your employer is obliged to comply with that country's basic rules on employee protection. These include the minimum wage, working hours, minimum rest periods, etc.

    Find out more on your rights by contacting that country's liaison office for posted workers.

  • I am self-employed and intend to work abroad for a few months. What formalities are necessary?

    If you want to work in another EU country for a few months only, the best option for you is to post yourself abroad.

    This enables you to work abroad while remaining covered by the social security system of the country where you usually work.

    Before leaving you should:

    • Apply for an A1 form (formerly the E 101). Ask your home-country liaison office for posted workers which authority issues these documents.

      This form proves that you and your dependants are still covered by your home social security system while abroad - for up to 2 years.

      To get this form, you must prove that the activities you intend to pursue abroad are similar to those you pursued in your home country. How? See the EU guide on posting rules.
    • Apply for the S1 form (formerly the E 106) from your home-country healthcare authority. This will entitle you and your family to healthcare during your stay.
    • Possibly make an advance declaration that you will be practising your profession in the host country.

      To find out if this is required – and how to do it – contact your home-country liaison office for posted workers.

    If you don't need to move to the country during the time you will be working there (but will just be making short visits), all you need is a European Health Insurance Card. You can get one from your home healthcare authority.

    When you arrive in the country, you should:

    • find out about residence formalities, even if you only plan a short stay.
    • submit your S1 form (formerly the E 106) to a healthcare authority there (if applicable).
  • I'm self-employed and have completed the period of posting stated in my A1 form (formerly the E 101). Unfortunately, my work is not finished yet. Can I extend my posting?

    YES — you can apply for an extension, if your work lasts longer than originally estimated due to unforeseen circumstances and if the total posting period including the additional extension is no longer than 2 years.

    Which authority should you contact? Ask the liaison office for posted workers in the country where you're working.

    You need to prove that additional work became necessary due to unforeseen circumstances — otherwise the host-country authority can refuse the extension.

    If this happens, you can still remain abroad, but your status changes to expatriate— meaning you'll have to switch to the host-country social security system (paying contributions there and no longer in your home country).

  • I'm self-employed and have landed a 3-year project in another EU country. I'd like to post myself abroad to remain covered by my home country's social security system. Is this possible even though I'll be working for longer than 2 years?

    MAYBE — When it's clear from the start you'll be working abroad longer than 2 years, you can request an exemption from the host-country's laws in this field, allowing you to remain covered by your home social security for the duration of your work abroad.

    Exemptions of this type vary from case to case, require the agreement of the authorities in both countries and are valid for a defined period only.

    Which authority should you contact? Ask the host-country liaison office for posted workers.

  • What happens if I have an accident during my posting in another EU country? Will my home-country health system cover me and my family?

    YES — for up to 2 years (regardless of whether you're posted by your employer or, being self-employed, you post yourself).

    To get medical treatment locally, you'll need 2 documents:

    • a European health insurance card
    • an A1 form (this proves you are covered by your home country)



    Source: europa.eu